Making the decision to get a divorce can be very difficult, but once the decision has been made, deciding whether you can do it on your own or if you need an attorney can be nearly as difficult. How do you find someone? How do you know if they’re any good? What is it going to cost? These are all important concerns that can make the process of hiring an attorney – or even just interviewing one – difficult. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Determine if you can do it on your own. You and your ex getting along? That’s a good first step. Do some research and see if it looks like something you can figure out by yourself, or if it seems so complicated that you need help.
- Ask friends and family members if they know someone they can recommend. If you get a recommendation, ask them why they are recommending that person – someone’s fabulous attorney could be your nightmare.
- Interview more than one attorney. Attorneys vary widely in their approach, mannerisms, attitude, skill and professionalism. Find someone who you think you can work with successfully.
- Consider alternative options, such as mediationor unbundled services. Some attorneys, like us, will give you help on only the issues you need & you can handle the rest. This can both bring down the cost and the hostility of the divorce.
- When you meet with an attorney, ask them questions about how they approach their cases, whether they have had cases like yours before, and what they will do to help you keep costs down. Set the expectations up front so you both are clear. Ask about how often and in what way you will communicate, too, so neither of you ends up frustrated later.
Need more help? You can use the link to the right to schedule an appointment online.
Leave a Reply